Media and Entertainment
Vendaria creates ‘Guided Selling’ solutions for Internet 500 retailers and major manufacturers across online, in-store, mobile, and social channels. Their customers use custom product descriptions, videos, interactive product demos, micro-sites, savings calculators, and product finders/selectors/configurators to help their shoppers find and buy the right products based on their personal preferences. Their retailer customers range from Amazon to Walmart, manufacturer customers range from Apple to Viking.
The Guided Selling Solutions, e.g. Product Selectors, Interactive Product Demos & Videos, Enhanced Product Descriptions, and Content Syndication. Vendaria distributed product videos from manufacturers via syndication channels to retailer websites (such as Home Depot, Amazon, Walmart, Sears, Staples, etc). The videos are viewed by customers to better understand the product and influences purchasing behavior in the retail channels.
Vendaria distributes product videos from manufacturers via syndication channels to retailer websites. The key product the company sold was a platform that distributed, monitored and tracked consumer interaction with these product videos.
The key challenge that Vendaria team faced was in generating billing reports for the retail and manufacturing clients. This is because they had separate rate agreements with their clients and also multiple channels of click / event data had to processed.
When billing it was also essential to understand which videos are viewed by consumers and what influences purchasing behaviour. Therefore the billing report had to be a drill-through that reported on user engagement as well (a critical aspect for both manufacturers and retailers to drive sales and determine ROI).
This took weeks to produce involving engineering team collaborating with sales teams to collect, filter. cleanse and extract billable data for each client. This was completely done using a manual process of excel templates and cut-and-paste of data.
- The existing reporting system was slow due to use of excel and legacy technology.
- The data needed for analysis and billing was fragmented and existed in multiple internal and external sources including Excel, Google Analytics, Akamai, and Microsoft SQLServer databases.
- The reporting system was not able to produce the detailed reports to effectively measure user engagement
- It took weeks and lots of resources to produce reports manually. These reports also were error prone
LogicMatter used it’s best practices reference pattern of Operational Data Store (ODS) and an agile, flexible engagement model (VISPER) to come up with a solution that was well received.
- Implemented and provisioned a Cloud-based ODS (Operational DataStore) and ADS (Analytical DataStore) based on Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, running on Amazon AWS/EC2 with multiple instances
- Built several collectors to periodically pull data and replicate specific data points from internal excel sheets, legacy billing systems, google analytics logs, akamai CDN weblogs and external syndication channel log sources into a single ODS (Operational Data Store)
- We used a pure EL (Extract-Load) strategy for our collectors and performed all cleansing plus transformation logic between ODS and ADS. This enabled us to catch all exceptions and report them out as standard exception reports
- Key data related to billing and user engagement was processed and made available in the ADS
- The dashboards were developed to report user engagement by manufacturers, retailers (i.e. channels), and Vendaria
- Additionally rate-sheet standardization was made possible because data was available in a single repository. This enabled us to create advanced billing models using a rich mix of parameters including traffic, content type, manufacturer/retailer (customer), products, rate types and billing frequency
All the key stakeholders (Vendaria, the Manufacturers, and the Retailers) are able to instantly & seamlessly accessing user engagement and billing reports. In minutes! and reliably get a comprehensive, 360 degree views of user behaviour.
- No Vendaria resources had to spend any time preparing the data and/or reports.
- Reports now had billing and other metrics such as: video counts,type of videos viewed, % of video viewed, segment viewed, who viewed it, timestamp, etc
- Excel based pivot tables enabled sales team to slice and dice data by products, product groups, channels, manufacturers, and date/time
- Vendaria team were able to review aggregate billing and engagement activity on an hourly basis — by manufacturers, products, retailers across date ranges.
- Data was available for analysis by the hour, day, date, week, and month
- Reports and Dashboards had information within minutes for both near real-time and historical analysis vendaria-benefit-ods
The biggest challenge we had was in standardizing the billing rates and putting the logic to parse the click traffic to identify which rate to apply. Whereas the biggest advantage of using this ODS + ADS approach was transparency in communicating logic between the two teams (LogicMatter and Vendaria).
Importantly, having a unified ODS provides amazing flexibility, a single place to filter and query source data in a consistent manner. This was a big time saver for us during our development.
It became much easier for us to then implement transformation logic for creating the reportable model in ADS. Since all data from various sources was already resident in ODS we were able to correlate and cleanse data from CRM, syndication channels, and analytics tools) as need evolved.
Vendaria appreciated the flexible devOps approach, agile process and monthly fixed subscription based framework pricing.