Shipping and Logistics
Allcargo Logistics Ltd is a multinational leader in integrated logistics. Specialising in NVOCC (LCL & FCL services), pan India Container Freight Station (CFS) and Inland Container Depot (ICD) operations, Project and Engineering Solutions comprising end-to-end Project Logistics and Heavy Equipment Hiring Solutions, Coastal shipping comprising Ship Owning & Chartering services and 3PL & Warehousing services.
The company has multiple trade lanes operating between their 189 offices. The CFO and business analytics team had to process several sources of excel data to generate the required financial and operational reports for the business.
csv data-sourcessql server data-sources
The financial team had to extract, validate, cleanse and standardise data manually from multiple sources, which were in a multitude of formats, and convert sources into a single standard format before compiling the reports.
From a tactical stand point this manual process was slow – taking weeks to complete, error prone and subject to inconsistent and missing data. This in turn prevented executive management from implementing strategic changes in a timely manner.
LogicMatter used its best practices reference patter of collectors, ODS (Operational DataStore) , transformers and ADS (Analytical DataStore) to reduce the source processing time. Our devOps approach, [VISPER] agile engagement model helped automate report generation and reduce errors:
- Identify all the CSV and Excel data sources that are required to generate the reports
- Implemented collectors that would process each workbook and worksheet with field level cleansing, validation and error processing Automated the collection and integration of all data from all of the offices worldwide into a unified and secured Virtual ODS (operational data store) on company’s private cloud
- Develop business logic to automate the report generation process.
- Developed transformation logic to manage exceptions and business rules for report models in the ADS (analytical data store)
- Developed weekly, monthly and yearly financial and operational reports.
- Produced a dashboard using the Microsoft Business Intelligence (MSBI) platform that allows authorised users to view on-demand the current snapshot of financial KPIs
- Reports generation time was reduced from weeks to minutes with several related benefits:
- Eliminated manual effort to generate financial and operational reports
- Reports are timely and can be generated on demand
- Reports are accurate, resulting in improved management confidence
- Provided deeper insights into business performance and accelerated implementation of strategic decisions
- The unified cloud data source is now a strategic asset which can be leveraged further with additional data elements
- The biggest challenge we faced was the excel data quality processing and field level validations Our learnings using our ODS framework patterns helped us reduce the risk of data quality discovery as various manual steps were automated. We were able to collaboratively resolve them with additional exception reports Being a devOps for data analytics partner helped us evolve with our client’s changing business needs for more effectively.