Hiawatha Academies is a network of high performing college-preparatory schools focused on closing the achievement gap in Minneapolis. The Student strength is 2000+.
Hiawatha uses data to help drive academic achievement. Benefits from an analytics perspective would be to improve student assessment scores, attendance, and homework completion by variables including grade level, gender, LEP status, etc
Integration of data sources was cumbersome and slow – data resides in multiple legacy systems. They use a number of systems to capture and track student information.
The goal is to have centralized database from 4 different sources - TIES, KICKBOARD MASTERY MANAGER and Salesforce. POINTMATTER was used for data integration and reporting by the client.
- A unified operational data store (ODS) to house all the transactional data
- Data visualization, dashboard and reports - templates
- Database SQL scripts for operational data and analytical data stores.
- Integration for collection, transformation, processing and automation
- Data collector integration of internal transactional systems and applications
- Data collector integration of external assessment data source
- incremental data loading combined with indexing to improve performance
- Scripts/code for automation, configuration and deployment
- Scripts for provisioning and on-boarding scripts
- Associated design documents on automation, configuration and deployment
- Additionally any training or support needed to maintain the solution in-house
Using the best-practices framework LogicMatter helped Hiawatha achieve several key benefits:
- Ability to change data sources without breaking reports from the ODS i.e. flexible data environment
- Separation of transformation from extract-load into ODS increased the transparency of data, which in turn helped the analysts fix data entry errors at the source systems that fed invalid data.
- Detection of data errors and feedback to enable fixing them in the source systems
- Continuous monitoring and fixing cycles to improve data quality
- Fine grained row level security was a side benefit of the ODS, enabling precise access control over data from various sources
- Improve usability due to consistent terminology between source systems and reports
- integration of Tableau, the visualization tool, directly with the ODS for ad-hoc analysis and discovery
- Ability for business users to easily author reports (eliminating IT dependency)